Benson Industries, Inc. Software Product Manager II - Home Builder Channel in Woburn, Massachusetts
MiTek® USA Inc., a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. is the world's leading supplier of state-of-the-art, engineered connector products, engineering services, and computer-driven machinery for the building component industry. We provide the industry's most advanced, most comprehensive, and most innovative software for design and manufacturing. Our products and services are backed up by a team of industry professionals who are dedicated to one goal – making our customers successful. Responsible for owning and controlling direction of various components of the MiTek Home Builder software solutions. Working with Home Builder Channel Product Owner on short and long-term planning on both existing and new Home Builder software solutions. Responsible for writing operational requirements for Home Builder Channel software solutions including Design, Documentation and verification of features and functionality. Provides technical support assistance and training for support of new features and functionality. Works directly with customers to determine market needs, run customer research efforts, and to determine competitive environment needs. Is an active and critical member of an Agile Development scrum team within software development process and is a key part of the decision making group to access risk of various projects alongside software developers and QA managers. Opportunities for mentoring others on required job duties and cross-training across teams on all the applications within the software suite. Provide technical guidance and mentoring to Product Manager I along with additional responsibilities within PM team.
- Product ownership for various software applications and tools under the Home Builder channel umbrella – Including but not limited to: SAPPHIRE Build (Kova), BuilderMT, Sales Simplicity, Wrightsoft, Blackpoint, system infrastructure, and various micro services and web applications.
- Working with Home Builder Channel Product Owner to develop product strategy and roadmap – in concert with all business units.
- Working with Home Builder Channel Product Owner to device solutions that not only meet a customer need, but how it fits into the larger picture of MiTek software strategy.
- Specifying requirements for current and future products by conducting stakeholder research supported by on-going visits to customers and non-customers
- Developing and documenting high-level product requirements for new products or features and market analysis in order to carry out competitive analysis ensuring competitiveness of company product offerings
- Developing business objective proposals and presenting to management for approval
- Managing the entire product life cycle from ideation and strategic planning to release
- Driving a solution set across development teams through requirements, product visualizations, and presentations
- Directing the requirements team and collaborating with development to ensure that solutions are efficient, consistent and fulfill business needs.
- Developing the core positioning and messaging for the product
- Defining the product strategy and roadmap
- Engaging developers and QA in design and design review to ensure complex feature objectives are met
- Provide requirements reviews to ensure that developers and QA fully understand targeted features and functionality
- Performing product demos to customers that will encompass the full breadth of the software suite
- Becoming an expert with respect to the competition focusing on domain knowledge of the area of responsibility.
- Acting as a leader within the company
- Actively engage team members to develop alternative system and software designs.
- Attendance during regular work hours in office and overtime as required.
- Occasional Travel required to meet with customers and various team members.
- Conduct user interviews, and always look to identify underserved opportunities in the marketplace.
This job may have supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Marketing, or equivalent; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience as a Business Analyst, Product Manager, Product Owner working in an agile/scrum environment, and/or proven experience building software products is a plus but not required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Excellent design judgment – what makes software great and why.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge and familiarity with Microsoft products including MS Office suite of products. Familiarity with software development environments like C# or Visual Basic .NET is beneficial.
Excellent organization skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects at once – this unique position involves many types of products and infrastructure needs. A burning desire to learn new things will be needed to succeed.
As a product manager, it is important to keep all parties involved with every step of the project. Coordination and buyoff with Marketing, Sales, Engineering, and executive leadership is necessary to ensure synergy across all business units. The ideal candidate is someone who does not operate with uncertainty.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to decipher the difference between ‘wants’ and needs
- Familiarity with Lean Product Management methodologies is desirable
- Willingness to learn new technologies, and brainstorm broad application across all software verticals
- Strong writing skills
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to foster new and existing relationships with a variety of personality types.
- Desire to change an entire industry that has largely been neglected in terms of disruptive technology.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
MiTek is an E-Verify and Drug and Tobacco-Free Workplace We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Tracking Code: P13613
Job Location: Woburn, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular