American Tower Product Development Manager in Woburn, Massachusetts
The Product Development Manager oversees development of new products in direct support of the Company’s innovation strategies. The incumbent works directly with the Innovation team, strategic partners, and external suppliers to design and develop wireless infrastructure supporting the needs of customers and future technologies. This includes managing the product development of innovative urban street furniture, tower designs in support of small-cell infrastructure, and edge data facilities.
The incumbent is the subject matter expert on new product development, with a comprehensive understanding of wireless customer needs, technical specifications, electrical and mechanical design, and product delivery. The incumbent partners with equipment manufacturers and engages cross-functional internal stakeholders to initiate and lead efforts on product evolution, standardization, deployment methodology, and operational protocols to drive down development and operational expenses.
The incumbent will advance products from concept to commercially viability so they can be deployed in a cost-effective manner that meets the needs of the Company and its customers. The incumbent must understand product quality metrics and will communicate issues to appropriate groups, contributing to problem solving and resolution.
This position requires a strong alliance with the Sales and Innovation organizations to ensure alignment on financial targets and achievement of priorities. The incumbent must stay informed about new product developments, attend trade shows, meet with industry representatives and equipment manufactures to ensure product offerings remain current, and adapt with changes to technology and the Company’s needs.
- Support the Innovation organizations development of new products, including but not limited to urban street furniture and C-RAN and Data/edge facilities.
- Manage the development of product prototypes and advance products to final testing and commercial operation for wide-scale deployment.
- Work collaboratively with multiple cross-functional departments to understand the current offering and needs of customers.
- Seek innovative design, manufacturing, and deployment methodologies to reduce manufacturing, capital, and repairs and maintenance costs.
- Oversee third-party regulatory testing and product compliance that meet or exceed customers’ technical specifications and national codes.
- Travel to vendors’, suppliers’, and strategic partners’ facilities to support product design, testing, and final assembly.
- Develop installation methods and procedures, bills of materials, and pricing matrices; define operational protocols for each new product.
- Coordinate with suppliers and internal stakeholders for efficiencies, cost savings, and specific training opportunities to drive operational excellence and product evolution.
- Seek continuous improvements and ensure product offerings remain current with technological advances.
- Provide technical sales support during customer meetings and at industry trade shows, while serving as the subject matter expert on product development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to successfully advance a concept to prototype and ultimately deliver a commercially viable product.
- Proficient in deciphering product cut-sheets, schematics, one-line diagrams, shop drawings, and design drawings.
- Solutions-based and forward thinking with the ability to identify issues and risk in advance and clearly articulate solutions.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless telecommunication infrastructure, data centers, and customers’ specifications.
- Prior data center infrastructure design and mechanical and electrical requirements experience.
- Proficient with computer software programs, including Microsoft office suite, along with knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly and effectively present technical ideas, concepts, and suggestions to senior management and customers.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively across many internal functional groups to optimize product offerings.
- Excellent planning skills; ability to effectively manage priorities for self and team to meet requirements and deadlines in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Industrial Design (electrical/mechanical/civil) or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of product management or management consultation experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of telecommunications or data center design experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of operational experience required.
- Experience in the product development of telecommunications infrastructure required.
- Experience with AutoCAD, 3D modeling preferred.
Approximately 100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 30% travel may be required in support of the position’s responsibilities. Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
Job: Mgr Product Dev
Title: Product Development Manager
Requisition ID: 180000GF
American Tower (the “Company”) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Company is committed to a policy of equal employment and will not discriminate against an applicant or associate based on his or her age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, handicap, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy or any other category protected under federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.
To ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process can contact us at (617) 587-7911 for assistance.