American Tower Director of Innovation - Mobile Radio Technology in Woburn, Massachusetts
Technology innovation creates significant and challenging opportunities for American Tower, the worldwide leader in mobile network infrastructure. The Innovation team develops products to address these opportunities. The Director, Innovation—Mobile Radio Technology is a critical Innovation team role, and the selected candidate will develop various infrastructure products.
The Director will lead the development and product management of products that support American Tower’s ability to act as the infrastructure site for next generation radio networks. New radio network technologies, including 4G small cells, IoT, CBRS, and 5G, require new network architectures and siting solutions, which creates significant opportunities for the development and deployment of new infrastructure products and real estate solutions.
The Director will lead a small team responsible for developing strategies to support new product advancement. Working in close collaboration with the Innovation team, internal stakeholders, and leading players in the wireless ecosystem, the Director will identify, design, and develop shared solutions and new collocation concept products to leverage American Tower’s real estate assets and capabilities.
To build robust prototypes and high-value products, the Director will develop and manage the product lifecycle for unique, proprietary products that are both technically-advanced and commercially viable. S/he must be a guardian of proprietary design, intellectual property, and unique technology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilize a deep understanding of RF capabilities and challenges to develop a portfolio of radio-ready infrastructure products that can be used to house next generation technologies.
- Act as a subject matter expert on radio product development both internally and externally; Apply expertise and industry research to the development of innovative real estate solutions and products that improve American Tower’s ability to host emerging technologies.
- Define and manage product requirements and technical specifications with optimal functionality and features to meet the needs of specific customer sets.
- Prototype solutions and begin initial technical and commercial trials.
- Develop robust business cases and plans for new products.
- Identify, negotiate, and establish strategic partnerships and alliances that support and accelerate product development and commercial deployment.
- Secure initial commercial contracts for new radio network infrastructure.
- Formulate and update a roadmap for the product evolution.
- Ensure adequate resources, policies, and procedures are in place to deliver and support new products.
- Develop compelling positioning and value propositions for the product solutions.
- Work closely with the Operations, Engineering, Marketing, and Sales teams to develop service delivery and channel enablement plans.
- Proactively communicate and deliver product vision to all internal organizational levels, including global teams.
- Build a substantial pipeline of innovation opportunities, identify new product development initiatives, and generate new ideas that have significant potential to grow market share, improve customer experience, and drive overall revenue growth.
- Act as “subject-matter expert” for assigned new products.
- Other duties as assigned.
·Superviseand manage a team within the Innovation organization.
·Createstrong collaborative team environment.
·Recruit,develop, and retain staff, partnering with Senior Management, Recruiting, andHuman Resources. This includes on-boarding and orientation for new hires.
·Providedisciplined performance management for team. Define and communicate annualgoals, perform formal and informal performance reviews, and ensure changes andupdates are communicated in a timely and professional manner.
·Proactivelyidentify and resolve personnel issues in conjunction with Human Resources
- Subject-matter expert in wireless radios and radio networks, with RF engineering or RF radio products experience.
- Excellent strategic product management and product development skills and a track record of product management achievement in a cross-functional environment.
- Success at planning and executing new product development, including proficiency in managing all aspects of a successful product launch and lifecycle.
- Proven capabilities in product design, development, and prototyping.
- Exceptional strategic and problem-solving skills to effectively influence decision making in commercial decisions.
- Extensive relationships with technology partners and network equipment manufacturers.
- Ability to work effectively across many internal functional groups to optimize product offerings, create a seamless internal and external customer experience, and resolve issues.
- Track record of collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries and levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated; able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests and with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify high quality solutions.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a concentration in Business, Engineering, or Computer Science preferred.
- Master of Science or MBA preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in strategic business leadership position(s), ideally in or connected to product roles in the technology industry required (preferably in the wireless ecosystem), three of which must have been in product design, engineering, product management, or product development.
- Solid wireless technical background with understanding of and experience with radio systems and/or networks required.
- Knowledge of Waterfall or Agile development methodologies preferred.
- Team leadership for product management and/or product development preferred.
Approximately 100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 30% travel may be required in support of the position’s responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
Title: Director of Innovation - Mobile Radio Technology
Requisition ID: 180000C3
American Tower (the “Company”) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Company is committed to a policy of equal employment and will not discriminate against an applicant or associate based on his or her age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, handicap, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy or any other category protected under federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.
To ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process can contact us at (617) 587-7911 for assistance.