BJ's Wholesale Club Communications Manager Job in Westborough-Home Office, Massachusetts
Communications Manager Job
Apply now »
Date: Feb 1, 2021
Location: Westborough-Home Office, MA, US, 01581
Company: BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the development and execution of corporate communications and community relations programs that deliver against company objectives and strategic initiatives. This person will report to the VP, Corporate Communications and will work closely with brand PR, social media and internal communications partners to help meet the department’s goals and objectives. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable in public relations, media strategy, media relations, community engagement and CSR programming, and social media trends. This person will interact with various levels of media and act as a partner to internal teams including investor relations, club operations, field team members, membership, brand marketing and merchandising. Responsibilities include:
• Lead development and oversee execution of corporate communications and community relations strategy. Ensure communications strategy is consistent, reflects the organization’s strategic vision, and supports key business priorities.
• Continuously evaluate corporate communications, community relations and CSR initiatives for optimization and performance
• Communicate BJ’s corporate story and community relations efforts to local, regional and national media outlets
• Build and maintain partnerships and cross-functional relationships with internal stakeholders including merchandising, omnichannel and digital, investor relations, human resources, club operations and marketing
• Escalate, support and execute proactive and reactive communications to protect the company’s reputation among key constituencies, including members, team members, media and investors
• Serve as part of the on-call team monitoring media on nights and weekends, as needed
• Develop press materials including press releases, media alerts, pitches, key messages and more
• Oversee public relations and community relations campaigns for new club openings, including managing local media outreach, influencer partnerships, event logistics, local sponsorships and grant opportunities, onsite events and more
• Oversee event management and logistics for the BJ’s Charity Championship, a Pro-Am golf tournament and major fundraising event for the BJ’s Charitable Foundation. This includes fundraising and sponsorship management, management of all logistics, onsite event management and support, acting as the liaison between BJ’s and tournament agency, creation of promotional materials, communications development to key stakeholders and a key partner to the merchandising teams to ensure fundraising goals are met
• Evaluate and oversee relationships with community partners
• Support overall Corporate Communications team and objectives in various areas including brand PR, social media, influencers and internal communications
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of relevant experience
• Strong attention to detail, flexible with change, strong collaborative skills, team player. Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Highly organized, fast and accurate, results-oriented and able to work well under pressure and within strict deadlines and budgets
• Demonstrated experience developing and leading impactful public relations campaigns
•Demonstrated experience in media relations and securing coverage on both a local and national level
• Experience managing an agency
• Superb project management skills
• Strong executive presence and the ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Available to travel to BJ’s Wholesale Club locations on occasion (20%)
• Event support requiring long periods of standing, some lifting
• Crisis communications experience a plus
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.