Charles River Laboratories Director, Toxicology in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Req ID #: 121271
Shrewsbury, MA, US, 01545
For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking aDirector, Toxicologyfor ourSafety Assessmentsite located inShrewsbury, MA.
Responsible for leading the site toxicology organization, overseeing site toxicology scientific resources, and providing scientific expertise for the site toxicology group. Serve as a member of the Global Toxicology Governance Committee and Site Leadership team. Direct Scientific Directors, Study Directors and Toxicology Study Operations team to ensure high scientific quality, protocol adherence, integrity and full GLP compliance of general toxicology studies, as applicable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide overall scientific and operational leadership to the site toxicology organization overseeing toxicology scientific resources and toxicology study operations at the site.
• Serve as a member of the Global Toxicology Governance Committee to resolve issues and identify and advance standardization/optimization of toxicology operations and procedures.
• Supervise Study Directors, Study Operations and Archives in their interactions with Sponsors, design of studies, preparation of protocols, interpretation of data and preparation of study reports.
• Assist with Study Director assignments and workload balancing, study scheduling, and report tracking.
• Foster the training, professional development and scientific credentials of the Toxicology department at the site.
• Institute processes to optimize toxicology study execution.
• Represent Charles River and the site to potential new clients.
• Work closely with direct and indirect reports to achieve/maintain a high level of integrity in all aspects of customer service, effective communications and study execution.
• Develop and implement plans/actions to continuously identify and reduce costs in toxicology and related areas.
• Contribute to the development of major business proposals for key clients as required.
• Perform Testing Facility Management duties as delegated.
• Direct activities of assigned group(s) to ensure optimum performance of the group/function.
• Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
• Develop short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and succession plans.
• Integrate activities with those of other major organizational units (e.g. segments, departments, functions).
• Develop and recommend departmental budget and authorize expenditures.
• Develop and oversee the implementation of departmental training programs, including orientation.
• Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
• Partner with site senior leadership team in the development and implementation of succession plans of key toxicology personnel.
• Responsible for ensuring client expectations are met and issues involving study conduct or reporting are resolved in a way that maximizes client satisfaction.
• Direct the development and communication of systems, SOPs, policies and procedures, as appropriate.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
• Education:An advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D. or equivalent) in toxicology or related field required.
• Experience:At least ten years of relevant scientific and management experience in the pharmaceutical or contract research fields in a GLP environment in scientific and project management roles. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
• Certification/Licensure:Board Certification in Toxicology (D.A.B.T.) highly desired.
• Other:Ability to critically evaluate written scientific documents for overall quality, clarity of presentation, and acceptability of scientific interpretation. Ability to handle multiple projects,
prioritize work and meet deadlines. Excellent written, verbal and problem solving skills. Good interpersonal skills which are conducive to effective communication and delegation
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 300 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Charles River Laboratories
- Charles River Laboratories Jobs