AMRI Director, Discovery Business Development – Boston/Cambridge in Massachusetts
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Director of Discovery Business Development – Boston/Cambridge will design and implement the strategies and related operational actions for the profitable development of AMRI’s Contract Services Business.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Working closely with the Vice President, Discovery Business Development to establish the commercial strategy, making goals, actions and budgets for the Region.
• Ensure that existing accounts are serviced effectively, liaise communication, and establish new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on potential clients.
• Generate new business leads. Utilize strong interpersonal skills when negotiating contracts and/or bids and building long-term relationships with potential external partners and/or customers.
• Call on prospective accounts, provide technical and administrative information, coordinate presentations, and support proposal generation. Prepare client-specific presentations and other data to respond to client needs.
• Work with internal teams to translate client needs and expectations into reality.
• Monitor competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, discovery services, new services, scientific demands, merchandising techniques, etc.
• Plan, develop, implement and evaluate advertising, and trade promotion programs.
• Assist the Vice President, Discovery Business Development in identifying market potential by evaluating client requirements, defining market, competitors’ share, and competitors’ advantages and weaknesses, forecasting projected business, establishing targeted Company share.
• Perform other duties as may be reasonably assigned in the course of business.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to conduct each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• BS/MS/PhD in Biology, Pharmacology, Organic Chemistry or another related scientific discipline preferred.
• 3-5yrs of Sales or leadership experience in discovery, development and/or manufacturing business sectors preferred.
• Experience in CRO/CMO industry.
• A positive and enthusiastic personality and the energy, drive and stamina to bring projects to a successful conclusion.
• Strong commercial and negotiating skills, necessary to promote complex services to sophisticated clients in pharmaceutical and biotechnology R&D areas.
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills, capable of identifying appropriate clients and partners, establishing and maintaining the necessary effective business relationships.
• Able and willing to operate remotely, whilst remaining a key member of the AMRI team.
• Significant experience in the pharmaceutical industry, combining sales and marketing skills with a track record in the successful closure of licensing deals and a demonstrable network of contacts within the customer community worldwide.
• Broad and deep understanding of the pharmaceutical and biotech markets and decision-making dynamics within the companies operating in this space.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
50% travel is required.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
All interested applicants must apply online. AMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity and inclusiveness. Minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity are encouraged to apply.
Job: *Business Development
Title: Director, Discovery Business Development – Boston/Cambridge
Requisition ID: 1001984
EOE Protected Veterans/Disability