Staples Product Designer in Framingham, Massachusetts
We believe that thoughtful design and great quality products make work better and that is why Staples Product Design is placed at the center of the business and customer strategy. Staples relies on this team to deliver a new approach to the billions of products we sell as well as new products that advance the future of work. Staples Product Design is the catalyst for product innovation.
This position within the owned brand product design team is a key support role for the Manager, Product Design. The Product Designer works to define and manage projects across all aspects of the design process including trend and competitive analysis, ideation, testing, prototyping, and manufacture. You will work across all of our product categories from the tiniest detail on a pen to the next great task chair. You will be part of a cross functional team that will deliver a better work experience to our customers.
• Lead assigned projects leveraging a diverse set of design skills including design research, sketching, form/concept development via sketching and CAD, 3D printing
• Analyze consumer trends and research to identify product opportunities
• Develop story boards and information graphics to clearly articulate concepts and opportunities
• Build CMF palettes digitally and physically
• Ensure that all products meet brand standards, provide input to design standards
• Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussions
• Educate counterparts about design and encourage feedback
• Manage assigned projects ensuring all work is completed within the allotted timeframe
The ideal candidate will:
• Build project plans with business and technical counterparts starting with creative briefing and finishing with technical package handoffs.
• Take a hands-on approach and roll up your sleeves to shepherd ideas into product development and ultimately implementation
• Love building brands and have good judgment regarding appropriateness of product design to product brand
• Ability to manage numerous projects on competing timelines
• Team player with good listening skills that shows initiative to collaborate
• Interest in learning the product categories and business aspect of the projects
• Have a great balance of product and graphic design skills
• Possess strong conceptual design skills and encourage new way of looking at problems
• Bachelor’s degree in industrial design or equivalent
• Minimum 3 years of product design experience
• Must be self-motivated and have the ability to manage multiple projects on various timelines
• Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Keyshot, and Solidworks
• Travel 10-15%
About the Staples Brand Group:
Do you want to create new brands and new products from scratch? Do you want to invent and think big to take an idea from concept to reality for customers? Are you an expert in or passionate about products that boost productivity and help businesses grow? The Staples Own Brand team is powering the greatest assortment transformation in our company’s history and we need your energy and enthusiasm to change the way the world works. We are a $4B consumer products company within Staples Inc, and we’re working on the tools and fuel for the new 21st century workplace.
Staples Inc. is a market-leading provider of products and services for the workplace enabling better work solutions that deliver industry-leading products, services and expertise across office supplies, facilities, breakroom, furniture, technology, promotional products, and print and marketing services. We support businesses of all sizes from solopreneurs to the Fortune 100 and everything in between providing exceptional quality and value across multiple channels, including direct sales, ecommerce, mobile, and retail.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.