Thermo Fisher Scientific Senior Manager, Industrial Design in Chelmsford, Massachusetts
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How will you make an impact?
The Senior Manager of Industrial Design will lead a team of industrial designers in designing and developing laboratory equipment and instruments from basic concepts to fully working design solutions, following the development of products through to production and manufacturing. This role will lead a team that closely collaborates with the research team to understand user needs and implement user-centered design on a wide range of products.
What will you do?
• Lead a team of highly skilled industrial designers to deliver innovative products across a diverse portfolio that meets the needs of users.
• Evolve and elevate the brand design languages across multiple divisions driving a holistic experience for customers.
• Collaborate with functional team members to gather, analyze and synthesize user research and market data to define appropriate functionality and product requirements to drive future designs.
• Manage multiple project schedules, designers and design strategies. Takes initiative to create best practices with R&D and business partners. Lead and initiate design discussions and strategies with the business.
• Effectively lead brainstorms and innovation sessions with multiple cross functional participants to develop and deliver solutions that provide world class experiences.
• Based on feedback, iterate concepts and provide functional prototypes and presentation quality prototypes for internal and external presentations.
• Collaborate with operations on key activities such as cost reduction via common design elements and sourcing of common parts.
• Work closely with manufacturing and engineering teams to see the industrial design through the development and production process.
• Create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs.
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s degree in Industrial / Product Design, or related field
• 10+ years developing new products, including aspects of form, aesthetics, human factors, and ergonomics
• 5+ years of effective leadership experience
• Experience with a wide variety of manufacturing processes involving plastic and sheet metal, and familiarity with packaging electronic components and multiple parts assemblies
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Demonstrated confidence in written, interpersonal and oral communication
• Ability to influence and present to internal and external stakeholder
• Self-starter with ability to work independently under pressure and react quickly to changing priorities
• Proficient in 3D CAD software and modeling skills
• Advanced user in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
• Ability to travel (domestic and international) up to 25%
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/page/show/eeo-affirmative-action-statement#accessibility for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.