Harvard University Term Stage Operations Technici in Cambridge, Massachusetts
55697BRAuto req ID:55697BRJob Code:402012 Loeb Technician II Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Term Stage Operations TechnicianSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :051Time Status:Full-time Union:55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers Basic Qualifications:
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
An understanding of backstage skills and procedures.
• General familiarity with stage rigging techniques•
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
Ability to effectively communicate with stage management, other technicians, visiting artists, and other collaborators with kindness and clarity.
Ability to swing between multiple tracks on a show-by-show basis, to suit the needs of the production (deck crew, follow spot, etc). Please indicate which positions you feel comfortable running on your application.
An understanding of carpentry, sewing, painting, electrics, sound, and/or inventory management skills.
Class D driver’s license and comfort driving sprinter van preferred, but not a requirement
Experience running props in a professional environment
PLEASE NOTE: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Department:Production/Stage DepartmentPre-Employment Screening:Identity Schedule:Full time. Monday through Friday. 40 hours per week. Job Function:Arts Job-Specific Responsibilities:
Support stage operations and the running of shows at A.R.T., with a focus on being able to adapt to different show running tracks as needed to support productions. This position will be asked to swing into multiple departments show run tracks. Cross-training will be provided, but experience in other run crew disciplines (spot operator, sound operator, wardrobe, etc.) is preferred.
Promote an inclusive and safe work environment:
• Foster a culture of community, equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism among staff and guest artists
• Foster a culture of safety, and ensure safe work practices are observed
Support Artistic Vision and Goals:
• Works with stage operations supervisor, assistant supervisor, props runner, and stage management to interpret and implement designs, through running different show tracks.
• Works as part of the stage operations department as a crew member on pre-rigging, load in, work calls, and strikes: Hanging soft goods, chain motors, and other rigging duties.
• Works with stage management and stage operations to help ensure backstage operations run smoothly, which may have different needs depending on the show.
• Works as a run crew member on shows, taking cues as assigned by stage management and troubleshooting technical issues in real-time during the run.
• Works with the stage operations and stage management to ensure crew needs are met and show tracks are executed correctly.
• Works with the entire run crew, as well as stage operations and stage management to make sure the theater and all auxiliary spaces (Green room, etc.) are tidy, safe, and well-kept.
Inventory Management and Training
• Participate in inventory, inspection, maintenance, and repairs of stage equipment.
• Participate in warehouse runs and storing of stage operations equipment.
School/Unit:American Repertory Theater EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Working Conditions:
A.R.T. is a multistory building without an elevator, with work taking place on all levels. The Stage Operations Technicians will be asked to move props, stage ops equipment, and other materials to and from storage or around the building, as well as loading and unloading material from trucks and vans (both at a loading dock and from the street). They will also assist in the installation of rigging and loading of 40lb stage weights into counter-weight arbors. During loading and strike, work may take place on ladders, genies, and the steel grating of the grid, 60’ above deck, which is accessed via a 78 step spiral staircase. Constant movement and use of limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, strength, coordination, and stamina. This position requires night and weekend work, particularly during tech, previews, and run of shows.