City of Cambridge Participatory Budgeting Outreach Intern in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The City of Cambridge's Budget Office seeks an intern to assist with outreach for the City's fifth Participatory Budgeting (PB) process, which will run from May-December 2018. PB is a democratic process in which residents directly decide how to spend part of a public budget.
The PB intern will be instrumental in conducting outreach and gathering PB ideas from community members in June and July 2018 about how they wish to spend $900,000 of the City's FY20 capital budget on projects to improve Cambridge. Winning projects from previous PB cycles include a public toilet in Central Square, resource kits for the homeless, kinetic energy tiles, water bottle fill stations, bilingual books for children learning English, youth center upgrades, and several others.
The intern will also assist in recruiting Budget Delegates - volunteers who work in committees to review all of the submitted ideas, research and evaluate those ideas, and ultimately develop the final list of projects that will appear on the next PB ballot. Cambridge residents ages 12 and older, including non-US citizens, will vote on how to spend the $900,000 on their favorite projects in December 2018.
This internship is a great opportunity to learn about and become involved in city government, civic engagement, and community building. Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply. Please visit pb.cambridgema.gov for more information about Participatory Budgeting in Cambridge.
The ideal candidate would join our office in early/mid-May and work through Budget Delegate Orientation in August (usually the second week). Intern responsibilities include:
- Outreach: Reach out to nonprofit and community-based organizations to form partnerships to promote PB; expand and strengthen outreach efforts to involve more underserved communities in PB; distribute PB door hangers, flyers, and posters around Cambridge; draft social media posts to promote PB events.
- Event support: Help Budget Office staff schedule PB idea collection events; prepare materials for events; facilitate PB idea collection events; assist with event set up and clean up; take photos at PB meetings and events.
- Web content: Write blog posts for the City's PB website.
- Data entry and management: Enter PB ideas into online mapping tool; enter PB event sign-in sheet information and survey data into Google sheets; manage multiple PB contact lists; compile notes from PB meetings.
- Administrative support: Photocopy and compile meeting and outreach materials; conduct inventory of PB supplies and order additional supplies as necessary; assist with translation of PB outreach materials if possible.
- Other: Assist Budget Office staff with other duties as necessary.
- Undergraduate junior or senior, or graduate student
- Extremely organized, reliable, and detail-oriented
- Outgoing and friendly; very comfortable speaking to the public one-on-one and in groups
- Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive required; proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign is a plus
- Fluency in Spanish, Chinese/Mandarin, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, or Amharic preferred (to assist with translation of outreach materials)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Please contact Matt Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 349-4270 with any questions.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Budget Department
Job Title: Participatory Budgeting Outreach Intern
Job Code: X088
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 15 hours per week; temporary 3 to 4 month position; May 2018 through August 2018 (with potential extension into the fall).
POSTING DATE: March 22, 2018
CLOSING DATE: April 23, 2018
RATE: $15.64 per hour