Harvard University Managing Director, Advanced Leadership Initiative in Cambridge, Massachusetts
49509BRAuto req ID:49509BRJob Code:361060 Administrative Manager Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Managing Director, Advanced Leadership InitiativeSub-Unit:------------ Appointment End Date:31-Dec-2020Salary Grade:060Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree required
10+ years of successful management experience in finance, budget preparation and analysis, information technology, operations, occupancy and space planning, human resources, and events/program management
Additional Qualifications:The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to the mission of building a new leadership force of experienced leaders affiliated with a university to gain skills for solving challenging societal problems. The successful candidate will be an accomplished individual with 10+ years of successful leadership working in entrepreneurial settings, overseeing program design, as well as solid operational experience. Proven “gravitas” to elicit confidence and credibility with distinguished top leaders. Knowledge of the culture and norms of higher education, including the ability to build consensus and influence multiple stakeholders, including faculty, extremely helpful. Proven record of accomplishment within a complex, matrix organization experiencing growth and transformation. Proven effective communication skills, both verbal and written, specifically experience showing sensitivity and judgement about timing and content of messages, both internal and external. Ability to foster a collaborative, collegial environment needed to advance key organizational objectives across decentralized teams. Experience in successfully managing, motivating, and developing staff. Must possess an entrepreneurial approach while achieving institutional goals and objectives. Ability to manage considerable change and ambiguity, in order to make a meaningful contribution to the mission of the Advanced Leadership Initiative, a pioneering educational innovation that is deploying a new force of global leaders.Additional Information:The Advanced Leadership Initiative (ALI) is a University-wide program that provides a unique learning opportunity for experienced, successful leaders from every profession moving to a new phase in their careers dedicated to tackling major social and environmental challenges as part of a new global leadership force of experienced leaders. Through their ALI education, fellows develop projects to innovate in such areas as human rights, basic education, climate change, poverty alleviation, public health, women's empowerment, and many others that can improve the state of the world.
The ALI was designated a Harvard Interfaculty Initiative by the Provost in 2007 and welcomed its first group of Fellows in December 2008. Now enrolling its 12th cohort of Advanced Leadership Fellows, the ALI is entering a new phase of growth and innovation in higher education at Harvard.
Department:Advanced Leadership InitiativePre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentitySchedule:M-F 9-6 Job Function:General Administration Duties & Responsibilities:
The Managing Director (MD) of the Advanced Leadership Initiative (ALI) will be responsible for
• Executing ALI’s strategic priorities, along with short-term and long-term objectives
• Providing strategic advice to the faculty chair and executive committee
• Developing operational and financial plans to facilitate achievement of ALI’s goals
• Motivating and managing ALI staff
Reporting to the Chair, is a senior tenured faculty member, the MD will manage the financial, logistical, operational and programmatic functions, providing a high standard of customer service to support the mission and goals of the growing ALI. Overseeing all business operations and staff, the MD ensures that ALI fulfills its short-term and long-term objectives cost-effectively and that its operations support its mission and values.
The MD, will serve along with faculty and the senior management team of ALI, as a key resource and representative to a wide constituency including HU faculty, staff, current and future Fellows.
• Co-develop (with Chair and Executive Committee) and execute the ALI’s strategic plan in order to attain the goals of the ALI;
• Provide strategic advice to the Chair and EC to provide a broad and accurate view of the landscape (e.g., the competitive landscape, related social change initiatives at the HU), the risks and opportunities for ALI;
• Communicate and maintain trust relationships with Fellows past and present, faculty, key staff around HU (including the Provost’s office and MD/EDs of other initiatives and centers)
• Prepare and implement business plans that ensure sustainable and effective operations, while investing in innovation and future opportunities;
• Review ALI policies, propose needed changes to chair and EC; ensure clear communication of policies to staff, faculty, and fellows; ensure concordance of practices to policy
• Manage the work of staff providing guidance, feedback and motivation to support employee performance, professional development and wellbeing
• Introduce ALI to new partners and groups (e.g., potential donors, faculty), using clear and effective communication
• Anticipate and analyze complex situations and provide solutions to ensure ALI’s success and reputational integrity
Full position description will be available to candidates selected for short list.
School/Unit:Harvard Business School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.