Harvard University Exec Communications Mgr in Cambridge, Massachusetts
53790BRAuto req ID:53790BRJob Code:CM0058 Writer IV Location:USA - MA - Boston Business Title:Executive Communications ManagerSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :058Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications:• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, public relations, English or the life sciences.
• Minimum of seven years related work experience.
• Applicants wishing to be considered for this position must include a cover letter and three relevant writing samples in addition to their resume. Finalists will be asked to complete a comprehensive writing assessment.Additional Qualifications and Skills:• Strong background in speechwriting, writing, and executive communications
• Demonstrated ability to translate complex information—especially scientific content—into concise, clear communications for both lay and scientific audiences. Familiarity with biomedical researchers, academic and scientific leaders, alumni and donor communities beneficial.
• Experience working with senior executives, government officials, or leaders in an academic, medical, or science-related environment.
• Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment required.
• Superior writing and storytelling skills, with the ability to create compelling content that captures the style, voice, and preferences of the institutional leader.
• Skilled in navigating organizational boundaries to collaborate effectively.
• Positive attitude and team-oriented.
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects while working effectively under the pressure of last-minute deadlines and changing priorities.
• Commitment to Harvard Medical School’s work, mission, and community values.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suites.Additional Information: We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture (https://hr.fas.harvard.edu/inclusive-culture) of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values (https://hms.harvard.edu/about-hms/campus-culture/mission-statement-community-values)
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
https://app.jobvite.com/TalentNetwork/action/campaign/w/NzM2NjU Department:Office of Communications and External Relations (OCER)Pre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentityJob Function:Communications Job-Specific Responsibilities:Reporting to the director of editorial services, with a dotted line to the dean’s office, the executive communications manager is responsible for effectively articulating and promoting the vision of the dean of Harvard Medical School by developing relevant and compelling content for a broad range of internal, external, and global audiences. The executive communications manager will research, write, refine, and edit speeches, op-eds, articles, reports, letters, briefings, emails, announcements, and other materials, capturing the dean’s voice and delivery style, to help advance his strategic objectives.
• Translates the dean’s vision, messages, themes, strategic priorities, and scientific findings into precise, accurate, yet thought-provoking and engaging narratives that connect with a wide range of internal and external audiences.
• Identifies key themes and details from scientific research, institutional data, financial documents, and other complex materials, with input and guidance from HMS faculty and leadership, to help communicate and advance the dean’s strategic priorities.
• Develops stump-style speeches for the dean’s top priorities and updates regularly to keep the content fresh.
• Meets with the dean and attends speaking engagements to better understand and convey his messages, personal style, tone, cadence, and word choices so that speeches are authentic and mirror the dean’s natural presentation.
• Briefs the dean in preparation for participation in lectures, events, symposia, conferences, and workshops.
• Builds relationships, meets with, and interviews a broad array of HMS administrators, faculty, and staff to help inform content, gather necessary background and context, stay abreast of new HMS developments, initiatives, and progress toward key goals and priorities, and ensure consistency in editorial direction and messaging.
• Manages the dean’s schedule of talking points for speaking engagements; helps to vet and make recommendations on the content, length, and suitability of requested speaking engagements. Interfaces with event organizers to ensure content is relevant and impactful for the intended audience.
• Works under deadline pressure here, often juggling multiple speeches at the same time.
• Provides fact-checking and copyediting as needed to ensure the production of accurate, error-free, quality content for the dean.
• Maintains an archive of materials that can be easily accessed and shared with fellow writers, editors, and colleagues to ensure consistent messaging.
• Reviews and, if needed, edits content drafted by other writers to ensure it incorporates the dean’s style and voice.
• Writes talking points, op-ed commentaries, articles for publication in Harvard Medicine News and other forums, and other communications as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.School/Unit:Harvard Medical School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.