Boston Area Rape Crisis Center Events Manager in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Min. Experience: Some Experience
Salary: $60,000 - $65,000
JOB TITLE: Events Manager DEPARTMENT: Development
REPORTS TO: Development Director
SUPERVISION REPORTS: Development Interns
STATUS: Exempt, full-time
POSITION OVERVIEW SECTION:
The Events Manager contributes to the success of BARCC and its financial sustainability by conceptualizing, organizing, and executing two signature fundraising events each year—the Champions for Change Celebration (650 attendees) and the Walk for Change (2,000 attendees)—along with other supporter cultivation and stewardship events, both in-person and virtual. They are the primary lead to create and track event metrics. This role executes all in-person and virtual event logistics, including coordinating in-kind sponsorships, volunteer and contractor resources, and marketing initiatives in partnership with the Development Director and the Marketing and Communications Manager.
○ Assist in crafting strategy, plan, develop, and execute special events, both in-person and virtual, as part of a coordinated annual development plan.
○ Develop and manage planning committees and initiatives with a focus on member retention and growing event attendance and revenue at BARCC’s annual celebration and walk.
○ Collaborate with the Development team on identifying, cultivating, and stewarding all funders and supporters.
○ Manage relationships with in-kind sponsors, contractors, key leaders/volunteers, and other individuals responsible for successful special events, both in-person and virtual.
○ Steward in-person and virtual independent fundraising events and other events in conjunction with the celebration and walk.
○ Coordinate annual summer stewardship event(s) with a pivot to a virtual model with direct interaction between major supporters and thought leaders at BARCC.
○ Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to produce event materials (invitations, promotionals, signage, etc.), social media content and programming, and other creative marketing in support of special and annual events.
○ Manage mailings and outreach efforts to in-person and virtual events.
○ Work collaboratively with Development and program staff to ensure BARCC events, both in-person and virtual, are well integrated across organization department and programs.
○ Cultivate, support, motivate, and steward peer-to-peer fundraisers, table captains, major supporters, event committee members, etc. with the Development Director.
○ In coordination with the Development Director, orchestrate the speaking programs for BARCC’s annual in-person and virtual events.
○ Create and maintain event standard operating procedures (SOPs) for major responsibilities and projects.
○ Handle inquiries and questions from supporters and funders with appreciation, respect, and sensitivity.
○ Manage Walk for Change website and IT support for fundraisers.
○ Oversee and manage the Independent Fundraising Events program (IFE), including stewarding and cultivating past IFE organizers, creating a pipeline of IFE prospects, soliciting and supporting existing IFE fundraisers, and creating new opportunities for both in-person and virtual IFEs.
■ Create processes to facilitate relationships with relevant teams within the organization to facilitate IFEs as a prospecting tool for other teams.
○ Ensure and oversee up-to-date event records using supporter management software, and ensure timely reporting/analysis of in-person and virtual event results, as well as acknowledgements of in-kind supporter contributions.
○ Collect data and implement metrics/tools to measure the effectiveness of each Development event.
○ Assist with planning event debriefings and developing recommendations for improvement for future in-person and virtual events.
○ Work with the Data team to create and maintain systems for accurate and useful event attendee, sponsor, and peer-to-peer fundraiser data management.
● Development Intern Management
○ Update the development internship program with a standardized onboarding and exit process, general learning objectives, and a model for intern compensation.
○ Manage development interns, including interviewing candidates, drafting individual learning objectives, supervising intern responsibilities, and conducting exit interviews.
● Additional Responsibilities
○ Attend and participate in departmental, organization-wide, and other meetings.
○ Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual respect.
○ Perform other duties as needed or directed.
○ Some local travel and evening/weekend hours required.
○ Use event relationships and knowledge of supporters to contribute to the prospect portfolios of gift officers.
○ Provide consultation to other BARCC departments regarding in-person and virtual events, for example the volunteer appreciation party, including contract review and venue research assistance.
Estimated Time Allocation for each Function or Area of Work
● Planning 25%
● Implementation 45%
● Evaluation 10%
● Independent fundraising events (IFEs) 5%
● Development intern management 10%
● Administrative tasks 5%
Expectations for 2021
● Coordinate a Virtual Celebration that engages 300+ people
● Create Virtual Walk that engages 500+ people
● Raise $450,000+ in financial support for BARCC between the two events
● A love for events with three-plus years of experience planning and executing large-scale, strategic, in-person and virtual events such as galas, walks/races, etc.
● Proven success in motivating volunteers to drive and grow event revenue and attendance.
● Ability to utilize event metrics to determine return on investment as well as inform strategy and improvements.
● Experience hiring and supervising interns
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, goal-oriented environment.
● Enthusiasm, creativity, a sense of humor, and a can-do attitude.
● Commitment to BARCC’s mission and philosophy.
● Salesforce experience preferred.
● Nonprofit experience preferred.
● Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions are tasks and activities that are absolutely required and necessary for the role and must be accomplished with or without an accommodation.
● Willing to work some evenings and weekends as required
● Capable of lifting and carrying a minimum of 25 pounds
● Current driver's license and willing to drive a small U-Haul for events
Note: The Events Manager will work from home / telecommute until further notice