RELX Group Editorial Intern, Cell Press Internship Program in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Editorial Intern, Cell Press Internship Program
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Are you curious/enthusiastic about a career in scientific editing? If so, we may have the perfect experience for you.
The Editorial Office of Cell Press is offering a science editing internship for qualified graduate students or those who have recently finished a graduate program or are in their early post-doctoral stages. The program is designed to give you the full experience of being a Scientific Editor at a major scientific publishing organization. You will also learn how scientific research goes from the laboratory to a story in the publishing world, and you will have the opportunity to collaborate with other publishing teams, including editorial and production. By the end of the internship, you will walk away with experience in science editing and writing, publishing process, and non-academic/non-industrial mentorship. The program is intended for graduate students and postdocs alike.
Location, timing and compensation Timing: We expect the internship program will last for 16 weeks part-time @ 20 hours per week or 8 weeks fulltime @40 hours per week but are open to other schedules. Start date is also flexible.
Stipend: $6,400 for the program (payable biweekly)
Location: Our preference is for a candidate based at the Cell Press offices in Cambridge, MA. However, we are also open to qualified candidates who would be interested in working off-site. An off-site intern is encouraged to visit Cambridge office as and when needed. No housing or relocation assistance is offered. A laptop will be provided.
Tasks will include:
• Completing Star Methods checks for journals
• Proof-reading and line-editing Previews
• Line editing Reviews, Perspectives, and other Front matter piece
• Developing and posting social media content
• Completing weekly reports and timesheet at the end of each week
• Completing miscellaneous projects as assigned by Editor
• A capstone project to be determined by mutual interests
Ideal Candidate Skills and Experience
Some of the key attributes that we are looking for in the ideal candidate are:
• Candidates working towards Ph.D. degree, or, have completed a Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific discipline including, but not limited to Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Chemical Biology, Structural Biology, Biological engineering, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, with relevant experience in publishing original scientific research. Exceptionally qualified candidates with a Master’s degree may be considered.
• Previous experience in scientific writing, including preparing manuscripts in the form of review article, or original research article for publishing in scientific journal.
• Possess good vocabulary and writing skills; demonstrated ability to prepare and format scientific documents.
• Strong organizational, time management, and problem-resolution skills; ability to meet deadlines consistently in a research/publishing environment.
• Interest in science editing and publication process. • Ability to work independently and in a collaborative group environment.
Applications are due on Friday, November 1st, 2019 and will be considered on a rolling basis after the due date. Applications will be held in the strictest of confidence.
To apply, please submit:
• a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position.
• a selection of 6-8 recently published articles that you feel capture the broad range of biological research (provide the full reference and link to the article, and give a brief rationale for your choice).
• a personal statement (no more than 300 words) demonstrating how you might fit into the program
NOTE: Due to the competitive nature of the internship, you may be asked to take a writing test and provide names of 2-3 references if you are a finalist.
No permanent position is available at the end of the internship, although candidates will be considered for available positions/freelancing opportunities should they apply and performance/circumstances warrant it.
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com .
- RELX Group Jobs