Sanofi Group Director, Oncology External Innovation in Cambridge, Massachusetts
The Global Business Development & Licensing (BD&L) department is part of the Global Strategy & Business Development (S&BD) unit, a Global Enabling Function within the Sanofi Group. The mission of Global BD&L is to seek and execute external growth initiatives to address the Sanofi Group´s strategic priorities. This mission is fully supporting Sanofi´s 2015-2020 strategic roadmap, specially aligned with the following strategic priorities: Reshape the portfolio and sustain innovation in R&D.
The key activities of Global BD&L are the search, evaluation, structuring, negotiation and closing of strategic alliances with external companies, involving products and other product-related assets.
The main responsibilities of Global BD&L include:
• Seek and execute external growth and collaboration opportunities in coherence with the Group´s strategy;
• Evaluate the economic interest of external projects maximizing value creation for the Group.
The External Innovation Team within Global Business Development and Licensing is responsible for leading the search, assessment and transactions for R&D and commercial opportunities, in alignment with the Sanofi Genzyme Global Business Unit priorities. Sanofi Genzyme is the Specialty Care business unit, responsible for the research, development and commercialization of products across the following therapeutic areas: Rare Disease, Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience and Rare Blood Disorders.
As a member of the Oncology External Innovation team and reporting to the Head of Oncology External Innovation, the individual will participate in identification and partnering of external innovation solutions that meet TA needs to maintain and expand a competitive portfolio of projects or technologies.
Principal Job Duties will include but not be limited to the following:
• Search and Evaluation: The individual will participate in global external search and evaluation for the Oncology TA. The scope of search is throughout the product life-cycle, with strong emphasis on pre-POC assets. Evaluation activity focuses on assets or technologies that will enter the Oncology R&D portfolio and includes execution of CDAs and in-depth technical assessment with R&D and other appropriate stakeholders prior to the formal decision to initiate Due Diligence by the External Working Group (EWG).
• Active deal projects: The individual will (i) identify and propose attractive deal opportunities, (ii) ensure high quality project leadership and management from project initiation to EWG1, and to final transaction for early stage projects and technologies (iii) manage the overall interface to corporate level governance (Therapy Area Review Committee & EWG) (iv) align resources and decision making throughout the deal process in collaboration with transactions colleagues and (v) provide input/guidance to optimal scientific deal structures and inflection points, minimizing contractual risk.
A minimum of a PhD degree is required. MD degree in Oncology is preferred. Will consider candidates that have degrees is a closely related field, such as Cell Biology; Molecular Biology, or Immunology. A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in multiple functions within the pharmaceutical and/or Biotechnology industry is required. In-depth knowledge in Oncology drug discovery and development is required. Outstanding scientific excellence in cancer biology, discovery and early development is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate has deep experience and knowledge of global drug discovery and early development activities, with an excellent understanding of all aspects of preclinical drug discovery. Previous experience ,with Clinical Trial Data is highly preferred. Position will require strong collaboration and teaming with Business Development; Oncology Therapeutic Heads, and our Oncology Strategy teams, in addition to close relationships with our senior management team to ensure full alignment. This position is scheduled to be based out of Cambridge, MA office and may require up to 30% domestic and international travel.
Selected candidate will possess the following key attributes:
• Evidence of organizational and project management skills
• Strategic thinking in combination with understanding science and technologies and their impact on the overall business.
• Excellent networking ability in cross-cultural environment inside and outside Sanofi. Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation skills.
• Negotiation skills across all levels of the organization and with external parties.
• Performance- and achievement–oriented with excellent project management skills; able to work to agreed timelines and a focus on execution and implementation.
• Excellent problem-solving, conflict-resolution and decision-making skills. Result and quality oriented: able to analyze inputs from all involved departments, to identify the impact, draw conclusions, to set direction and define appropriate actions.
• Ability to represent the company in external scientific/academic world and to act as an ambassador for Sanofi.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law. #GD-SA; #LI-SA
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Sanofi is dedicated to supporting people through their health challenges. We are a global biopharmaceutical company focused on human health. We prevent illness with vaccines, provide innovative treatments to fight pain and ease suffering. We stand by the few who suffer from rare diseases and the millions with long-term chronic conditions.
With more than 100,000 people in 100 countries, Sanofi is transforming scientific innovation into healthcare solutions around the globe.
Sanofi, Empowering Life