Mathematica Director of Business Development, Climate Change in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Position Description*:
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from family support, nutrition, education, early childhood, and employment to health, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here.
We are seeking a Climate Change Director to support the development and implementation of our climate strategy, working closely with the Vice President of Climate Change. The Director will be responsible for supporting the development of a robust climate change pipeline and leading specific opportunities to grow Mathematica’s work in Climate Change. The Director will also support efforts to establish Mathematica’s thought leadership in the area and to build staff capacity in their area of expertise.
- Support strategy and growth of Mathematica’s business in climate change o Support the implementation of the climate change strategy for advancing Mathematica’s position as a leader in the use of data and evidence in climate change o Engage with clients and partners and deepen relationships o Strengthen Mathematica’s market share and presence at key federal, state, and local government, philanthropy, multilateral, and other relevant agencies o Identify and pursue short-and long-term business opportunities to generate impact and grow the area o Lead and manage key business development opportunities. o Develop budget specifications and review budget materials for proposals and other client engagements o Participate in brainstorming and writing activities for technical proposal language used in response to RFPs and other solicitations
- Ensure technical excellence in project delivery and quality assurance in their area of expertise: o Lead key strategic projects o Work with project leads across the company to ensure climate change projects are delivering high-quality, on-time deliverables o Oversee and mentor staff and provide strategic and technical guidance on projects as needed o Provide support to ensure technical excellence and responsiveness to clients’ and other stakeholders’ learning and decision-making needs
Facilitate thought leadership and outreach in their area of expertise including: o Supporting the thought leadership agenda guided by the strategy, and developing and disseminating specific products via multiple avenues including client meetings and workshops o Sharing and presenting knowledge and learning products at key conferences; in expert groups and advisory committees; and through publications, blog posts, social media, and other dissemination channels
- Position Requirements*:
PhD or master’s degree in social science, engineering (energy focus) climate change, climate finance, environment, or relevant discipline
- A combination of bachelor’s degree and equivalent education and work experience may be substituted for the above requirements
- 10+ years of experience in climate change policy and programs, with a deep understanding of the climate change landscape
- Keen knowledge of the funding priorities and mechanisms of donors
- Demonstrated success in business development and writing proposals
- Demonstrated technical and people leadership on large contracts
- Recognized expertise in their field with a track record of research excellence and presentations
Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Oakland, CA; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Seattle, WA; remote
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $130,000 to $180,000. Mathematica offers a strong benefits package, which includes a profit-sharing 401(k) plan, health, dental, disability, and life insurance plans, comprehensive paid time off, and tuition benefits. Training and professional development are also provided.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our research is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We offer Employee Resources Groups on a variety of topics, local diversity and inclusion activities in each office, and a Diversity council.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Mathematica Jobs