City of Cambridge Branch Manager, O'Neill Branch in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Branch Manager is a leadership position with responsibility for managing and training the O'Neill Branch staff, the day to day operation of the branch, and for developing effective programs and dynamic collections. Collaborates with the Manager of Branch Services to establish priorities, set goals and initiate new services. Sets the tone for this service area to provide consistent, personal, accurate, helpful assistance to library users.
- Manages branch services in a manner that supports overall goals of the Library and ensures that staff members offer the highest quality assistance to library users
- Provides exceptional and engaging service to the public
- Develops, implements and evaluates services to meet the needs of the neighborhood
- Directs all activities in the branch and supervises all staff assigned to the branch. Prepares staff schedules and work assignments
- Actively seeks and creates outreach opportunities in the neighborhood
- Aids in the recruitment and training of new branch staff
- Evaluates staff performances annually and sets goals with staff for the coming year
- Works collaboratively with the Manager of Collection Services to select adult materials for the branch. Supervises the selection of children's materials with guidance from the Manager of Youth Services. Ensures the branch's collections are varied and regularly weeded
- Manages the allocated branch budget responsibly with guidance from management
- Performs reader's advisory and reference services for branch patrons
- Supervises the planning of programming for youth and is responsible for creating adult programming
- Provides strong leadership to display and to merchandize the collections
- Works collaboratively to publicize branch events and services both in print and online
- Resolves patron complaints/issues
- Performs leadership and supervision for functions related to circulation
- Instructs patrons in the use of online catalog, e-resources and all other patron technologies
- Oversees the branch building and reports needed repairs and servicing
- Fosters good public relations with schools and other agencies in the branch community
- Functions as a member of the leadership team of the Library, attending regular meetings
- Maintains a working knowledge of contemporary issues, trends, and technology
- Makes recommendations to improve services
- May serve on committees which review and develop library policies and services
- Troubleshoots and operates technology
- Any other duties required for the good of the Branch or the Library
A bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university and a master's degree in library science from an accredited library school. At least three years of professional library experience in a public library setting strongly preferred. Previous public library and supervisory experience desirable. In exceptional instances, specialized education, training, and/or experience may be substituted for part of the educational requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong customer service skills and proven managerial skills
- Thorough knowledge of popular adult materials and of borrower/circulation services
- Ability to interpret community needs and interests, and turn into relevant library service
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population
- Ability to handle multiple activities and interruptions at once
- Ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously
- Ability to remain calm and flexible at all times and especially in emergency situations
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively, meet deadlines
- Punctuality and dependability
- Broad background and knowledge of library techniques, resources, and current literature
- Familiarity with current technologies and interest in innovation
- Ability to work with enthusiasm and initiative, a cheerful disposition, and a willingness to work positively and harmoniously with others
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Physically able to operate a variety of equipment; Ability to sit and use computer workstation for extended periods of time; Strength to push or pull a loaded book cart which can weigh in excess of 100 pounds, to lift or maneuver onto cart loads of up to 50 pounds, and to carry cartons of books or other materials or equipment; Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, vision or other powers of observation, manual dexterity, personal mobility and physical reflexes.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Works in assigned area, including office areas, training rooms, library locations, as necessary. Normal office exposure to noise, stress and interruptions. Attends and participates in continuing educational programs designed to keep abreast of changes in profession.
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week. Initial schedule is Mondays, 11:30-8, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 9:30-6 at the O'Neill Branch and Tuesdays 8:30-5 at the Main Library. Every 3rd week the position works Saturday, 8:30-5 instead of Tuesday. Hours are assigned and may be changed to meet the needs of the Department and the Library. Flexibility is expected and desired.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Job Title: Branch Manager, O'Neill Branch
Job Code: L410-705
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: CPLSA, Local 4928
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hours per week (see additional information below)
POSTING DATE: January 22, 2019
RATE: $31.55 per hour to $36.17 per hour in five steps