RELX Group Associate Scientific Editor, LSSSE - 12 month cover in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Associate Scientific Editor, LSSSE - 12 month cover
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Elsevier’s Life Sciences publishing division is seeking an Associate Scientific Editor to work in a 12-month cover position on a key primary research journal in the area of molecular biology. We are looking for an individual with a background in biochemical research, an interest in scientific publishing, and excellent analytical and communication skills. The successful candidate will also possess skills in data and statistical analysis, and a keen interest in utilizing and expanding the suite of publishing metrics, and will work closely with publishing staff, external editors, and the larger research community to drive development of these important scientific research journals. This is a superb opportunity for a highly motivated and creative individual to play a critical role in the research community, away from the bench.
• To work with the publishing team to identify, acquire, manage, and develop high impact scientific content, helping to shape the editorial direction of assigned journals.
• To establish and maintain close contacts with the scientific community in academia and industry, and to work directly with authors, reviewers, and editors to help manage efficient, rigorous, and researcher-focused review processes that maintain high professional and scientific standards.
• To explore innovations in scientific communication (such as new paper concepts and introduction of applications and other tools).
• Working with external editors to triage submissions based on scope and journal standards.
• Monitoring and reporting on the peer review process, acting as a liaison between the external editors, authors/reviewers, and publishing colleagues.
• Building a network of editors, scientific reviewers, and authors in multiple sub-specialties.
• Managing the solicitation of journal content in high-interest, as well as new and emerging fields; commissioning review material and acquiring high impact content.
• Guiding editorial expansion/innovation in related fields.
• Graduate degree or PhD in biochemistry or related field.
• 0-2 years’ experience in scientific publishing.
• Customer-focused, attentive.
• Able to work well in a collaborative environment and a drive to collaborate across multiple internal departments.
• Able to connect with a broad range of people as well as to work independently.
• Flexible, analytical and proactive; able to think critically about a wide range of scientific issues.
• Excellent written and verbal English communications.
• Experience with authoring and the peer review process would be helpful.
Elsevier uses the Elsevier Competency Framework. Competencies provide a common language to define the success profile required or desired for a particular job, department or organization. The objective of the Elsevier Competency Framework is to have a single competency framework to increase leadership effectiveness and enable leaders to develop their employees across Elsevier
• Displaying Integrity and Honesty
• Connects the group to the outside world
• Takes Initiative
• Technical/Professional expertise
• Practices Self Development
• Builds Relationships
• Collaboration and teamwork
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org .