Advance Local Managing Producer in Boston, Massachusetts
Position : Managing Producer
Location : Boston, MA
Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of our mission to strengthen and empower the communities we serve.
MassLive, the largest news and information website in Massachusetts, is looking for a Managing Producer/Editor with proven strength in investigative and enterprise journalism to help lead continued audience and subscriber growth.
This role will be part of our senior leadership team responsible for helping to set newsroom strategy and developing an inclusive culture that thrives on team success. This is a writing/editing job. To succeed, the candidate must be able to produce engaging content as well as lead and mentor a team of reporters.
We are looking for someone with a pulse on important issues throughout Massachusetts, but also on the stories that resonate on a regional and national basis.
The Managing Producer/Editor must set the standard for compelling, trusted journalism. The successful candidate will guide the newsroom and be able to produce stories that have an impact – content that covers the important issues of the day, promotes change and holds those in power accountable – while being able to leverage our social media brands to reach new audiences.
The best person for this job will work at the speed and pace of a busy, competitive news organization and brings passion to their work on an everyday basis. The successful candidate will be accomplished and effective at using audience metrics and trends to help inform coverage decisions, working closely with the Vice President of Content and the news leadership team.
Internally, we want a candidate who would teach and mentor their teammates on daily news coverage strategy, investigative techniques, source building, interview skills, filing public records requests and other strategy. The more people we can develop internally, the stronger our team will be.
This person will be responsible for the production and distribution of content across various platforms, including web, mobile and social media. This position will manage day-to-day story and photo budgeting, staff schedules and other work-flow systems; day-to-day supervision of reporters, including story assignment, story editing and feedback; manage to performance-based metrics for team and individual employees; and assume other responsibilities when needed.
We are looking to fill this position quickly so when applying please provide links to samples of your work.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
· Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field required
· A minimum of five years in journalism with a proven ability in editing both breaking news and more in-depth reporting. Preferred two years of management and/or team leadership experience
· Strong communications skills, including reporting/writing ability
· The ability to produce quality work quickly and comfortably in breaking news environments
· The aptitude to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
· An ability to work collaboratively and thoughtfully with reporters and to mentor and develop those reporters just entering the field
· The tools to edit enterprise stories and dive deeper into issues and trends across a broad cross-section of topics, including but not limited to government, public safety, social justice, education, health, and popular culture
· A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
· Experience using social media to identify potential stories and promote content
· Self-starter, detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and manage multiple complex projects to on-time delivery
· Adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
· Ability to develop news content that differentiates the organization from competitors
· Ability to create and implement strategies to respond to the evolving nature of the industry by experimenting with new models, platforms and ideas to stimulate audience engagement and revenue growth
· Bilingual and multilingual language skills are a plus
As a member of our leadership team, you'll meet regularly with staff in office locations across Massachusetts.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a substantial 401k plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
MassLive.com is one of the largest news and information websites in Massachusetts and was recently recognized as the best news site in New England for 2019 by the New England Newspaper & Press Association. MassLive provides an essential 24/7 news, information and social interaction network. As an organization we aim to inform, engage and entertain, as well as promote active participation in the exchange of news and ideas because knowledge improves people's lives. We embrace new ideas and innovation.
MassLive.com is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com .
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
- Advance Local Jobs