Humana Design Strategy Director in Boston, Massachusetts
The Design Strategy Director plans and executes strategies to meet organization's long-range goals including acquisitions/divestitures and strategic business alliances. This Director will wield an in-depth understanding of how organization capabilities interrelate across the function or segment.
The Design Strategy Director evaluates and develops new market initiatives and analyzes business opportunities in both new and existing markets. Develops proposals, including feasibility studies, for new business opportunities. Identifies, analyzes, and compares alternative opportunities for entering new markets and adopting new technologies. Decisions are typically related to the implementation of new/updated programs or large-scale projects for the function and supporting technical/operational procedures and processes, and implements strategic plans, drives goals and objectives, and improves performance. Provides input into functions strategy.
Design Strategy Directors are system thinkers with taste. If you've ever had an experience of a
product, service, structure, what-have-you and knew you could have done it better, you
are our type of person. A Design Director at the Digital Health & Analytics Experience Center (DH&A XC) is equal parts creative and strategic.
For this particular role, we are looking for someone with extensive, applied experience
in ethnographic research, human-centered discovery & incubation efforts (focused on horizons two and three), experience strategy and design with a bias towards action and making things real.
As a Design Strategy Director, you will build and lead vibrant, highly productive teams. People
will look to you to help set the bar for strategy, quality, and innovation, as well as shape
the ambitions of the collective creative group. You are hands-on, and equally analytical
and conceptual. Also, a balanced understanding of and appreciation for product management, strategy, usability, interaction, and visual design is a must. Business development experience is
necessary, and experience lecturing and writing about experience strategy, design, and interdisciplinarity is preferred.
Each member of this organization (formal leader or not) has responsibilities in at least
four foundational capacities: 1. Discovery 2. Delivery 3. Enablement (teaching and
spreading contemporary ways of working), and 4. Incubation responsibility.
Represents the experimental and creative disciplines in overall studio leadership
Handles difficult situations with grace while under pressure
Inspires the design strategy team with energy, passion, and thought leadership
Participates in making difficult decisions for the design strategy team and includes others
in the process
- Guides and promotes positive culture in the studio
- Owns accountability for all design strategy delivered by DH&A XC on behalf
of and in partnership of the core and emergent lines of business
(Creative delivery accountability)
- Responsible for creating and owning strategy to teach, enable, evangelize and
drive human centered design transformation across Humana in virtue of co-creative
operating engagements (Creative Ways of Working accountability.
- Strategy, creation, execution, and oversight of all creative, experience design
deliverables & investments
- Builds strategic partnerships with clients across the organization at the
Executive, VP, and Director levels (spanning lines of business, product,
engineering, analytics, and IT organizations)
- Leads and/or supports other engagement leads to manage the design strategy process,
drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and
- Responsible for understanding a client's business/communication goals and
translating them into unique creative solutions
- Checks in with project teams and knows when to provide guidance to arrive at
better solutions and happier clients
- Ensures design strategy teams are producing the highest quality work and meeting client
- Supports the Head of studio H's Experience Center and contributes to the
management of the Experience Center Design Strategy and broader team
- Participates in resourcing for the creative team which includes planning project
teams for upcoming projects, and adjusting resources as necessary on current
Participates in quarterly review cycles for the Design Strategy team
Manages direct reports in the Design Strategy discipline which includes setting clear
goals and career paths for direct reports, checking in regularly with direct reports,
and making decisions around performance and HR related situations for direct
Direct reports include Design Strategist and Leads
Participates in recruiting and hiring efforts for the creative team which includes
proactively identifying and bringing in creative talent, reviewing inbound
applicants, supporting the interview process, and contributing to hiring decisions
- Participates in business development activities including creating points of view,
building program approaches, and reviewing business development pitches and
- Delivers outstanding presentations which include driving a point of view,
describing studio H's capabilities, and explaining program approaches to clients
- Maintains a presence in design industry and local design community by writing an article, contributing to industry publications, speaking at conferences, and/or sitting on a panels. Expectation is to do at least
one thing each quarter.
- Continuously innovates new ways of working to scale these new methods across
Minimum of 6-8 years of relevant professional work experienceAdditional InformationQualified candidates must include an online or PDF portfolio with theirapplication or link to experiences and, or products delivered
Must be passionate about contributing to an organization focused on continuously improving consumer experiences
Scheduled Weekly Hours
- Humana Jobs