Unilever Chemist in Boston, Massachusetts
Boston, MA (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=One+Design+Center+Place+Boston+MA+02210)
Living Proof is seeking a Senior Formulation chemist to lead development activities of new hair care products and identify key technologies to drive innovation. This is a full-time position based in Boston, MA and will report to the Product Development Manager.
· BS/MS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy, or related science.
· Minimum of eight years of personal care formulating experience required. Hair care development highly preferred.
· Identify disruptive cutting-edge technologies and innovative formulation designs via internal R&D expertise, external third-party partnerships, and Unilever R&D.
· Independently formulate hair care prototypes and conduct appropriate performance experiments to establish POP (Proof of Performance) for new technologies.
· Lead the generation of innovative product concepts while collaborating with Product and Package Development teams, determine consumer/brand fit, anticipate potential formulation and processing challenges, and cost effectiveness.
· Identify formulation technical insights on new and existing products to establish a clear scientific mode-of-action that builds into strong product concepts and claims.
· Collaborate with Product Development and Discovery teams to recommend, design, execute in-vitro and in-vivo tests to characterize product performance benefits to support the Brand Marketing team in the creation of ownable content and category leading product positioning.
· Build comprehensive claims support plans, lead the execution of the plans, highlight claims risk with support legal and RA, and ensure a strong claims dossier is properly written and documented.
· Support Brand Marketing in the design and execution of internal and external consumer use testing.
· Formulate new products, manage, and lead all technical formula aspects of the program by coordinating and influencing necessary resources within the prescribed timetable.
· Interpret product performance and stability test findings and recommend action steps.
· Communicate and present program updates and technical data within cross-functional internal and external project team environment.
· Lead tech transfer to third party manufacturing facilities for scale-up and production, including identifying and generating appropriate product specifications.
· Identify potential technical and regulatory issues, proactively establish, and implement an action plan to ensure issues are not realized in market.
· Build and manage relationships with raw material vendors, contract manufacturers and external technical consultants
· Maintain strong working relationships within Living Proof. Use these relationships to assess/identify project opportunities/issues.
· High level of downstream experience formulating a wide range of product such as creams, lotions, solutions, serums, mousse, hair care products and aerosols. OTC experience preferred.
· Proved track record of thinking out-of-box with regards to formula design and ingredient insights.
· Demonstrated upstream thinker when assessing longer-term innovation opportunities.
· Familiar with function and technical challenges of various packaging delivery systems; pump sprays, tubes, squeeze bottles, BOV, aerosols, air-less packs and lotion pumps.
· Self-starter with proven ability to effectively lead all technical aspects of projects from concept to launch, execute tasks within defined programs timelines and work independently with limited oversight.
· Proven ability to be innovative & apply state of the art technology in insightful ways that result in new products to market.
· Experience in assessing, auditing, and qualifying third-party manufacturers. Tech transfer and scale-up production a must.
· Familiar with GLP, cGMP, and QA/QC personal care industry best practices.
· Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively on cross-functional teams.
· Demonstrated exceptional aptitude towards understanding consumer insights and applying them towards the development of superior product designs.
· Very strong experience with claims substantiation, development of technical test methods to measure performance attributes, clinical testing, and consumer use testing.
· Formulation and raw material regulatory guidelines and restrictions knowledge required, specifically for NA and EU.
· Exhibit excellent organization, planning and multi-tasking skills.
· Must have strong interpersonal, written/verbal and presentation skills.
Diversity is a core value at Living Proof. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all employees. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
- Unilever Jobs