RELX Group Assistant/Scientific Editor - Cell Host & Microbe in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Assistant/Scientific Editor - Cell Host & Microbe
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
We are looking for a dynamic microbial scientist to join the Cell Host & Microbe editorial team as a full-time, in-house, scientific editor.
As a member of the Cell Host & Microbe editorial team, you would be responsible for a broad range of contributions to the journal, including recruiting exciting studies; assessing submitted research papers; selecting and collaborating with top notch referees; identifying timely, emerging topics to commission for review articles; and promotion of our content online and through social media. The job also entails traveling to scientific conferences and research institutions where you will directly interact with the scientific community and hear about cutting-edge research developments.
This is an exciting opportunity to be engaged in shaping and guiding the leading edge of host-microbe research, as well as an opportunity to facilitate the process of scientific discourse and communication.
The position is based in Cambridge, MA, where the Cell Press offices are located, and will report to the Editor-in-Chief of Cell Host & Microbe.
Your responsibilities will include:
• assessing submitted research papers across all areas of host-microbe biology
• selecting and collaborating with referees
• recruiting exciting papers within the scientific scope of the journal
• commissioning and editing “front matter” (commentaries, reviews etc. )
• regular travel to scientific conferences and research institutions
The qualified candidate is expected to have:
• a Ph.D. in any area of biomedical research
• postdoctoral and/or editorial experience (not required but would be an advantage)
• specific expertise in the areas of microbiome research, host-microbe interactions, and/or bacterial pathogenesis
• broad interest in all areas of microbiology, with a sophisticated understanding of the basic principles
• ability to think critically about a wide range of scientific issues
• strong communication skills
• interest in engaging with the scientific community
• talent for distilling complex concepts and communicating them
• the ability to work well in diverse team settings
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment offering great opportunities to develop yourself. Elsevier’s benefit package includes
• Competitive base salary commensurate with experience
• Generous Commission/bonus plan based on performance
• Excellent medical, dental and 401K benefits
• All expenses and travel fully paid
• Opportunity to advance within the organization among many divisions (worldwide)
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org .