Thermo Fisher Scientific Senior Director, Commercial Sales Operations in Boston, Massachusetts
The Sr. Director Commercial Sales Operations, Americas Laboratory Chemicals Products (LCP) is responsible for leading and developing a comprehensive sales strategy, profitability objectives and achieving sales results for the business in the Americas by implementing robust forecasting and sales processes, hiring, retaining and developing key talent, establishing and maintaining strong relationships with our customers and channel partners and working closely with all functions to drive customer satisfaction. This is a remote role, linked to manufacturing/distribution sites in New Jersey/Pittsburgh/Boston.
Responsible for cultivating and growing a $230M revenue region which is comprised of over 50 team members:
The successful incumbent would have deep domain knowledge and understanding of the Chemicals market and have the ability to create strategic plans to enable agility to adapt to the ever changing marketplace, with proven history of running a rigorous sales operating mechanism delivering on results, and exceptional functional leadership skills building the teams capabilities to be the best in the industry.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This individual’s responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following specific responsibilities:
· Implement the commercial strategies, ensuring alignment with the global and regional plans. Achieve the business and strategic objectives – these must be competitive from both an industry and regional perspective.
· Regularly monitors customers’ needs and Thermo Fisher Scientific’ product offerings to ensure needs are understood by team members and key Thermo Fisher Scientific departments and, appropriate levels of service and responsiveness are provided to accounts.
· Uses comprehensive knowledge of customer activities and goals to develop and coach to high impact strategic selling presentations promoting Thermo Fisher Scientific solutions.
· In addition the LCP Leader will be responsible for driving growth of the LCP business via our channel partners including Thermo Fisher channels.
· The LCP leader will work closely with the divisional LCP leadership to define strategy for the region, and then develop detailed sales execution plans to deliver against revenue and growth expectations in the current year as well as over a 3 year horizon.
· They will gather field and market intelligence to influence product development and R&D direction to align the long term LCP strategy to the needs of the NA market.
· Develops and maintains up to date knowledge of products, markets and customer buying practices required to effectively manage a sales team to compete and grow the business.
· Ensures that comprehensive product and application knowledge is used to effectively understand customer needs and position solutions to drive business performance
· They will design and implement an effective selling organization including performance management against agreed goals at territory and product level.
· They will work closely with regional and divisional stakeholders to align resources, sales and marketing plans to deliver the revenue goals for the region.
· Regularly monitors customers’ needs and product offerings to ensure needs are understood by team members and key departments and, appropriate levels of service and responsiveness are provided to accounts.
· Establishes and maintains effective communication with strategically important customer executives and managers.
· Keeps relevant department heads and team members fully informed of significant changes in these relationships and the potential impact on business.
· Addresses and resolves customer issues and arbitrate sales personnel issues (e.g., sales crediting involving other channels) as required.
· Monitors the customer complaint (technical and logistical) process to ensure adequate response rate, solutions, and regulatory compliance.
· Develops and maintains an up to date knowledge of markets, products, and buying practices required to effectively compete in the global Life sciences market.
· Work closely with other Thermo Fisher Scientific divisions to obtain and share leads supporting rapid growth within North America.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
· BS/BA required in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline (Masters, MBA or PhD desirable but not required)
· Requires minimum of 10 years experience in sales and sales management
· Intimate knowledge of the Laboratory Chemicals market with deep understanding of current competitive dynamics and proven ability to succeed in those conditions
· Proven track record at Director Level with track record of results delivery, and demonstrated leadership potential
· Advanced, in-depth knowledge LCP business, competitors and industry practices and functional knowledge of strategic business planning
· Adept at building strong long term relationships with key stakeholders to ensure alignment and produce robust execution plans
· Possesses experience in: team management, sales strategies and personal selling effectiveness, analytical and problem solving skills, communications skills, client relationship management skills, industry/market analysis skills, and business planning skills
· Proven history of developing or deploying sales operation systems and processes
· Experience with financial planning, sales analytics and financial root cause analysis is preferred
· Experience with data warehousing and CRM tools required; Salesforce.com and Cognos reporting tools desired
· Strong role model sales leader with ability to coach, develop, manage performance and motivate people at all levels
· Experience with both direct and distribution selling environments is desired
· Estimated 50%+ travel
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.