State Street Global Head SPDR Strategy in Boston, Massachusetts
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success.
Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
State Street is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability.
The Head of Global SPDR Strategy & Planning/ SPDR Chief of Staffis responsible for developing and ensuring execution of the overall business strategy and high priority strategic initiatives for Global SPDRs as well as acting as a senior leader and thought partner to other senior leaders in the SPDR business to support the general management and progress of the SPDR business. Specifically:
- Business management: support the management of the SPDR business by leading governance and key business processes
- Metrics, MIS and Reporting: provide regular and ad hoc MIS to support decision making and to effectively represent the business to stakeholders
- Strategy development:identify & develop business strategy and key initiatives for Global SPDR, working with senior leaders to gain buy-in
- Execution: partner with key stakeholders to implement change via realistic, actionable plans against key initiatives and strategies
- Firm wide partnership: build strong relationships across SSGA to support the business
- Team building: attract, motivate and retain a high performing global strategy team
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience and track record of success:
- Identification of successful growth strategies (organic & inorganic) and of cost control
- Execution of strategic initiatives with delivery of forecasted results
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with internal & external partners
- Strong knowledge of the ETF market landscape, key competitors and market trends
- Track record of attracting and motivating top talent
Strong analytical capabilities, the ability to work independently and comfort with ambiguity are important attributes of the position. Also, the ability to work as part of a team spanning central and in-country resources will be essential to the role’s success.
Managing a small, high performing team, the Head of Strategy & Planning is expected to identify key business priorities, act as thought partner with the Global Co-Heads and a key leader for Global SPDRs and work with stakeholders to gain buy-in, approval and any necessary resourcing to ensure successful execution. In addition, the Head of Strategy & Planning will support the day-to-day management and operations of the business through compilation of Management Reporting and MIS and identification of key insights. Specific responsibilities comprise:
_Business management:_support the management of the SPDR business by leading governance and key business processes
- Manage regular Global SPDR ExCo meetings & off sites, ensuring materials & structure are in place for robust and outcome oriented discussions, with clear action plans & follow up
- Ensure Regional SPDR ExCos are appropriately supported (MIS, notes, follow up) to be as effective as possible
- Support global communications of major activities and events
- Work with Finance and SPDR leadership to manage the budget process
- Work with HR Business Partner to support key HR processes, e.g. promotions, bonuses
_Metrics, MIS and Reporting:_establish standardized and specific MIS to support decision making and to effectively represent the business to stakeholders
- Develop clear and consistent daily reporting that helps drive awareness and influence decision making
- Work with Finance, SPDR Business Leaders and other stakeholders to deliver in depth, consistent, clear monthly and quarterly reporting – including quantitative and qualitative metrics of success
- Centralize external reporting to ensure a single source of information for all stakeholders
- Be key point of ownership for responses to all external business requests
_Strategy development:_identify & develop business strategy and key initiatives for Global SPDR, working with senior leaders to gain buy-in
- Lead the identification of overall business strategy
- Market, competitor and regulatory landscape, including key trends
- Customer segmentation and prioritization based on understanding of needs, barriers to purchase and substitute products (e.g. futures)
- Development and honing of SPDR value proposition, based on competitive advantages against customer needs
- Realistic assessments of ability to execute, e.g. operational platform & core capabilities
- Proactive identification & exploration of corporate development opportunities
_Execution:_partner with key stakeholders to implement change via realistic, actionable plans against key initiatives and strategies
- Be a change agent – identify issues that need resolution and drive to outcomes
- Develop clear actionable plans that take into account sales, marketing & product activities
- Create materials to communicate strategic plan to senior management and to the overall Global SPDR team
- Provide tactical roll-out support, including project management as needed
- Ensure we track progress against plans, both activity and impact
_Firmwide partnership_: build strong relationships across SSGA to support the business
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key internal partners and leverage as needed to effectuate change
- Represent the Co-Heads in key forums as a leader of the business
- Facilitate an understanding of the SPDR business and its strategy & priorities across key internal stakeholders
- Represent Global SPDR on committees and forums (internally and externally) as needed – serving as a single voice
_Team building:_attract, motivate and retain a diverse and high performing team
- Establish an appropriate hiring plan for the long-term needs of the team
- Successfully recruit diverse, top talent at different levels of seniority
- Motivate the team overall to be recognized as a very high performing group
- Manage individuals’ careers and act as mentor for their long-term growth
- Strong experience in the asset management industry of 10 years+
- Operated at a senior level in Strategy & Planning role or equivalent at a large scale asset management organization or at a Top-Tier Strategy or Financial Services Consulting firm
- Proven track record of building, managing and motivating a strategy team
- Proven experience developing & leveraging relationships across multiple stakeholders
- Excellent analytical skills
- Track record of Project Management delivery
- Ba/ BS or equivalent degree, preferably with a financial or business discipline
- MBA preferred
- Completion or progress towards a CFA is a plus
- Industry Experience and track record of results
- Sufficient Gravitas and Confidence to engage senior stakeholders with credibility
- Strong skills in financial planning, financial modelling and business decision support narrative formation
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communications skills.
- Knows what ‘good looks like’ and will aim to build and deliver same at SSGA
- Ability to take complex ideas and present them in an intuitive fashion
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and navigate complexity.
- Strong influencing and partnership skills.
- Strong ability to motivation, mentor and engage a high performing team.
- Executive Presence/Gravitas/Maturity
- Confident and pro-active.
- Solution oriented mindset.
- Change Agent
- Able to work well within a team.
- Enthusiastic, motivated and open.
- Positive, entrepreneurial and ‘can do’ attitude.
To apply to this position, follow the "apply now" link. To locate this position in our application page, please use the KEYWORD search functionality and insert either the State Street Job ID or the Location.
Job Title: Global Head SPDR Strategy
Job ID: 170153
Full/Part Time: Full FTE