CDM Smith FEMA-Disaster Assistance Architect (Nationwide Opportunities) in Boston, Massachusetts
Requisition ID 11695BR
Job Title FEMA-Disaster Assistance Architect (Nationwide Opportunities)
Job Site Location Massachusetts - Boston
Home Office Location Boston, MA
Why CDM Smith? CDM Smith is a major partner to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) supporting its mission under various prime and/or sub-prime contracts for Public Assistance, Individual Assistance, Hazard Mitigation Assistance, and Risk Analysis. The Public Assistance program supports recovery operations primarily for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly-owned facilities, such as: roads, bridges, municipal buildings, police and fire stations, water/wastewater treatment plants, etc., including Private Non-Profit facilities such as hospitals. The Hazard Mitigation assistance program supports operations to reduce the risk to life and property; including the existing build environment and future construction, in the pre and post disaster environments through regulations, local ordinances, land use and building practices.
We are currently accepting resumes for future project work. Qualified candidates will be contacted once next steps have been identified.
General Responsibilities May Include:
• Conducting preliminary damage assessments (PDAs) in the field with Federal, State and local officials.
• Writing Project Worksheets (PWs) for the purposes of determining project eligibility, scopes of work and estimating costs to repair or replace a facility or structure in order to restore it to its pre-disaster design.
• Offering technical, cost estimating, disaster recovery, or management services with an emphasis on Architecture or Historical Architecture.
• Providing knowledge of building design or historical architectural design during recovery efforts.
• Contributing to recovery team by providing a variety of building elements including, but not limited to, structural design knowledge, aesthetics, functionality, historic preservation, etc.
• Bachelors Degree in Architecture, Historical Architecture , Architectural History, or Art History required. Professional designation/certification a plus.
• A minimum of 2 years of related experience.
• Preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the following FEMA Public Assistance classroom trainings: Public Assistance Operations I (PA Ops I), Public Assistance Operations II (PA Ops II), Project Worksheet (PW) Development, Cost Estimating Format (CEF), Debris Management/Operations, 406 Hazard Mitigation.
• Prior FEMA Public Assistance disaster response and recovery experience in one of the following areas: Public Assistance Coordinator (PAC) Crew Leader, Project Specialist, Debris Specialist, Debris Monitor, FEMA-certified Trainer, Hazard Mitigation Specialist (Sections 404 and 406), or Long Term Community Recovery Program Specialist is strongly desired.
• Must be a U.S. citizen and be able to pass an FBI background check.
• Ability to mobilize within 24-48 hours; commit to a minimum 90-day assignment in remote locations and disaster conditions.
• Due to the nature of the work, candidates must have excellent communication skills and be experienced in the Microsoft Office product suite.
Assignment Category Fulltime-Temporary
Amount of Travel Required 100%
The initial work for FEMA can be 10-12 hours per day, 6-7 days per week. Rotations home of 3-5 days, approximately every 30 days or so, are provided to each deployed staff as approved by FEMA management. Most expenses, i.e., travel, per diem (food and lodging), are covered by the project and reimbursed directly to the deployed staff in a timely fashion. We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate—as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.