Harvard University Associate Director, Gift Management, External Relations in Boston, Massachusetts
Harvard Business School
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities
As a key process owner within the Advancement Services team, the Assoc.Director (AD) will have oversight of Gift Management and lead a team responsible for processing gifts/pledges while embodying/creating a sustainable culture of customer service for both internal/external stakeholders. Ensures that operations support data integrity while increasing the effectiveness/efficiency of fundraising. The AD will work closely with ER teams to gain a robust appreciation/understanding of relevant business operations, processes, and requirements that impact Gift and Fund Management.
Will work closely with the frontline Development team, Donor Relations, HBS Finance Office and the Univ. Office of Alumni and Development Services (ADS). Establish collaborative working relationships and develop/implement enhanced ways of conducting business. Specific responsibilities include:
- Direct day to day operations of the gift mgt. staff. Work closely with ER Admin., HBS Finance and ADS to ensure the successful implementation of financial controls/lock-box. Evaluate team capacity and processes to structure work-flow and assignments efficiently.
- Oversight of acceptance/processing of gifts/pledges. Ensures that donors, brokers and fundraisers are directed to the appropriate support for the multiple donation methods, including checks, online gifts, stocks, wire transfers, and corp.matching programs. Coord. with fundraisers, ADS, and HBS Finance to ensure the proper credit of gifts and pledges is received.
- Oversight of pledge mgt. related activities. Ensures ongoing maintenance of pledge related data to support pledge reminders. Coord. with fundraisers on the production of recurring pledge reminder communications. Provides up-to-date pledge schedule data to support multi-year pledge revenue forecasting.
- Establish workflows/processes that are donor-centric/best practice within Advancement Services. Ability to articulate/quantify impact to resources, necessary processes and trade-offs to support fundraising strategies. Creates/develops a team with expertise to develop/manage solutions for complicated donor gifts.
- International Gifts Management - working with the Donor Recognition team/frontline fundraisers, oversee processes within Gift Management for accepting, crediting, and ensuring External Relations recognizes revenue from international donors and giving vehicles. Partner with ADS/HBS Finance to map the process from beginning to end and assign process owners.
- Fund Management - in partnership with Donor Relations, support the mgt. of the School's 1,250+ restricted funds and annual spending of $170M+. Identify opportunities/solutions for process improvement and integrating disparate data sources in support of spending efforts.
- Oversight/revisions of policies/procedures relating to gift mgt. operations. Ability to communicate/collaborate broadly to gain buy-in, acceptance and facility with gift policies across ER. Ensures gift mgt. staff complete associated trainings and comply with policies and procedures. Works with fundraising managers to ensure staff receive adequate training and updates regarding gift mgt. procedures.
- Coordination of analytical reports and other gift information requests by Development/sr. mgt. In collaboration with the ER Business Intelligence team, develop reporting that provides insight into aggregate/individual donor behaviors. Develops data driven metrics to measure productivity, monitor data integrity, and identify areas for improvement. Provides detailed monthly gift reports in support of fiscal year fundraising results.
- Oversight of individual donor histories/donor lists as req'd for the Annual Report and other published donor reports.
- Oversight/maintenance of gift related data and documentation, to include transaction records, donor agreements, and other gift-related records. Ensures the appropriate storage and archiving for gift related records, per policy.
- Other duties as required.
BA/BS in economics, finance, accounting, or comparable experience. 7+ years of progressive administrative experience. 3-5 years of direct line management experience.
Additional qualifications include the following:
- Experience working in higher education, non-profit, finance, or in support of fundraising preferred.
- Experience and proficiency in the use of computers and comparable software for account management.
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of how to use data to drive and support strategy. Experience with analyzing data and creating reports.
- Experience with Ellucian Advance or other constituent management system.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Proficiency to interpret and evaluate policies and procedures.
- Adeptness and positive manner to work well under pressure, handle several projects simultaneously, and reprioritize as needed.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills with careful attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong "can-do," positive, flexible demeanor.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.