The MITRE Corporation Technical Director in Bedford, Massachusetts
JobTitle Technical Director
Job Highlights The successful candidate will lead the Acquisition and Management Sciences Technical Center (J810) and provide direction across technical, work program, and workforce development activities. This technical center provides a wide range of acquisition and design science capabilities that includes multi-disciplinary analysis and products that enable sponsors to acquire, create and deploy systems and processes that are mission effective and lifecycle affordable. This division has 280 employees in McLean, Bedford, and several customer sites and supports a diverse work program that covers many portfolios across MITRE. The Technical Director is responsible for building an integrated team and capabilities, successfully applying these capabilities to help achieve transformational customer outcomes, and providing strategic direction on future investments and innovative solutions. Critical to this position is effective engagement with portfolio and program organizations, and close partnering with other technical centers.
The Technical Director position may be located in either Bedford or McLean and will require local or overnight travel to geographically dispersed sponsor and MITRE locations.
Why Should I Consider MITRE?
Working at MITRE at http://www.mitre.org/careers/working-at-mitre
1) Strategic Planning: Works in close partnership with Portfolio and Program leadership in their strategic work program activities. The TD will work with DHs to develop and track multi-year roadmaps across each of the J810 capabilities.
2) Project Execution: The TD will be responsible for supporting the planning, and execution of work that MITRE has committed to perform. The Tech Center Leadership initiates and conducts technical program reviews, ensures appropriate peer reviews are conducted, monitors plans, capture best practices, and provides direction and assistance to the project teams to ensure high-quality and timely deliverables.
3) Workforce Shaping: Given an understanding of the future work program direction and needs, the TD is responsible for developing and executing workforce shaping plans. These plans identify the skills that are in high demand and require focused attention to hire or develop. The TD ensures the division is highly networked inside and outside the company, to reach into partners, passive candidates, and internal teaming.
4) Work Program Shaping: The TD will oversee engagement with portfolios to innovate the future work program. The TD is expected to be a senior contributor in the direct work program as new opportunities or key challenges arise, and in helping to launch new initiatives. The TD partners with other tech centers to being integrated offerings.
5) Innovation: The TD is responsible for increasing J810’s participation in the MIP program, and seeing that MIP is aligned with portfolio needs and transition opportunities. The TD drives innovative business practices and is responsible for driving innovation into J810 capabilities so that they are highly differentiated.
6) Talent Development: The TD is Direct Supervisor for department heads, members of the senior technical staff, and other division leadership. The TD will work in partnership with other leaders to identify cross corporate growth opportunities for staff with high leadership potential. The TD will work with Department Management on staff development to include coaching, training, and career planning.
7) Right Staffing: The TD works in partnership with Portfolio Directors and other TDs to identify candidates best suited for specific projects. The TD, along with the Department Heads, build and maintain an understanding of the work program needs, developing a pipeline of work and skills capacity. This includes the unique aspects of specific sponsor environments, and the corresponding staff skills and behaviors needed. Project assignments are made with an eye to staff growth as well as skills match.
8) Managing Operations: The TD will shape the business processes for the Leadership Team to effectively run the division. This includes the novel use of work program and workforce analytics, and trending. The TD is responsible for meeting hiring targets, delivering the work program, and ensuring overhead is well invested and managed.
Location MA,VA: Bedford or McLean
• Experience leading a large department, portfolio, or division with a significant number of employees and highly technical work program.
• Technical depth in at least one of the division’s core capabilities, demonstrated through both sponsor work program impact as well as external technical contributions.
• Demonstrated ability to build and shape a technical work program through collaborative and effective partnership with portfolios, program divisions, and other technical centers.
• A track record of implementing change initiatives and bringing innovations to work programs and organizations.
Technical Directors must demonstrate the highest levels of technical, management and business development skills. Prior leadership experience across both program/portfolio and technical center organizations is preferred.
Technical Directors must demonstrate the following key competencies and values:
• Attracts and Develops Talent: Attracts, develops and creates a strong pipeline of top talent for the organization, is alert to people outside their direct reports for development. Addresses underperformers quickly and with appropriate action.
• Achieves Extraordinary Results: Demonstrated track record of delivering exceptional outcomes to sponsors and key stakeholders; pushes one-self and motivates others for results, demonstrates high standards and acts with sense of urgency.
• Thought Leadership: Demonstrated thought leader in one or multiple technical domains providing new and innovative ideas; develops strategies that create value; demonstrates commitment to ongoing learning and growth both for self and staff.
• Leadership Presence: Communicates in a compelling fashion up, down and across the organization; inspires trust through commitment to values and professionalism; is authoritative and confident without being arrogant.
• Drives Change: Recognizes and anticipates change; is proactive in driving change rather than reacting to it; is not satisfied with the status quo or complacent, gains stakeholder commitment for change and adept at managing change and moving people forward.
• MITRE Values: Exemplary model of MITRE Core Values of Commitment to Public Interest, People in Partnership, Excellence That Counts and Integrity. Consistently acts in a manner that conveys organizational, social, and moral values of the highest standard.
Preferred Education/Experience: MS or PhD and 20+ years of related experience
Minimum Education/ Experience BS and 15 years of related experience.
Travel Statement *This position will require overnight travel up to 30 % of the time as well as some local travel.
Clearance Top Secret
To be eligible for consideration for this position, a current Top Secret clearance is required. Only US citizens are eligible for a security clearance. For this position, MITRE will consider only applicants with security clearances.
Relocation Assistance Provided No
Career Level Experienced
Professional Area Economics
Req ID 29452BR